This is the two week notice of our next meetings at Solihull Library along with notice of what we are planning to be involved in for October’s Black History Month events. In terms of October’s events a flyer will be produced and sent shortly with fuller details.
Saturday 28th September 2013,
Solihull Central Library
1) 12-2pm – Training Session – Reading Old Handwriting
- Basic skills of deciphering potentially tricky handwriting on records and documents you will be looking at in your research.
2) 2-4pm – Research Session
- Time to continue with your research – with as much help as we can provide with our final preparations for exhibitions (outlined below)
Black History Month
We have settled on three activities
1) Solihull Library – Month of October, 26th if October, How you can help/contribute
Exhibition – commemorating the 65th anniversary of the Windrush with other images of our ship travelling ancestors who came to these shores from the Caribbean
Work Shop Day – 26th October, Solihull Library. A day to be guided around the exhibition and do mini workshops on research and start your family history research if you have not done so. Contact
How you can help! Do you have any memorabilia or family connections that stem back to the Windrush. If so, please do make contact and we can explore an acceptable way to use it in our exhibition with your permission.
2) Kingshurst Development Trust – Month of October and 19th October
Exhibition – Bringing our Exhibition material for Family History Research to this location in the North of Solihull Borough
Work Shop Day – 19th October 2013 – following a similar pattern to our previous Solihull Library Exhibition Workshop Days
3) Genealogy Day – Wolverhampton 19th October 2013 (Still to be confirmed)
We have been invited to contribute to an event being organised by the Black Local History & Cultural Archives Project (BLHCAP)in Wolverhampton. Again more details to follow when finally confirmed.